Name: Phil Ohren
- Relationships is more than a <a> tag
- Penguin was designed to target webspam and not SEO – anyone hit by penguin was deemed to be spamming
- Penguin focused on 4 areas to decipher relationships
- Count over time
- Link source / Ease to obtain that links
- Sorry…..wifi got cut off…
- The new disavow tool enables Google to see the links we think are spam – user generated link reporting
- Despite everything, spam still works in Australia…it is alive and well
- Phil used “Credit Cards” as an example – a website with blatant spam ranking highly for that keyword
- Phil covers Portent’s spam study
- Introduce a risk vs reward when you are looking at your links
- Manage your link profiles with Cognitive SEO which combines all data sources from Moz, Majestic and Ahrefs. Export to CSV and analyse, slice and dice
- Phil recommends to manually remove links by either nofollowing or taking down the link before using the disavow tool by Google
- Panguintool.com overlays algo updates to GA data
- Link Detox is a tool that Phil likes to use as well – it is a semi automated link profile management
- Netcomber by ex-googler Andre eposes website relationships between websites
- Stop link building and sart link earning through relationships
- Look at the market leading website, analyse their link profile and try and achieve better results
- 60% brand 20% non-brand 20% ontopic/generic
- Do genuine guest blogging – form real relationships. Don’t stress and worry about links. Integrate your efforts with Media, PR and social teams.
- Quality content only ticks the Panda box, you need HIGH VALUE content
- Performa a gap analysis and identify content opportunities according to the conversion funnel
- Great content and HIGH VALUE = shortcutts
- Evergreen content – Seomoz algo change history
- If you are stuck for ideas, engage creative and PR teams.
- Use creative commons, allow other users to use your content
- Links that drive traffic have higher value
- Seed content and create some ripples
- You can also use paid media to seed content like outbrain, taboola and disqus
- You will get comments, shares and most importantly links!
- Advertorials are OK – nofollow it!
- identify social influencers – Problogger Darren Rowse used as an example
- Invite authors to contribute to your blog – adds credibility to your websites through recognition
Please excuse the typos, broken links, incomplete sentences, etc.